Metronidazole is well absorbed when administered vaginally. The active ingredient is metabolized in the liver. It provided for 40 – 70% (20% in unmodified form) via the kidneys.
Topical treatment of Trichomonas vaginitis and nonspecific, nandrolone undecanoate meaning bacterial vaginosis.
: Hypersensitivity to metronidazole or other nitroimidazole derivatives; pregnancy (first trimester), blood diseases, leukopenia (including vanamneze);incoordination, organic (including epilepsy); hepatic insufficiency (in the case of the appointment of large doses).
Pregnancy and lactation `The drug is used with caution with the II trimester of pregnancy. Metronidazole passes into breast milk. Breastfeeding while taking the drug should be withdrawn. Resuming breast-feeding should be no earlier than 48 hours after taking the drug.
Dosing and Administration
- Trichomonas vaginitis: one suppository daily for 7-10 days in combination with drug intake metronidazole tablets.
- Nonspecific vaginitis, bacterial vaginosis: one suppository daily for 7 days, if necessary in conjunction with taking the drug metronidazole tablets.metronidazole treatment should not last more than 10 days and recur more often than 2-3 times a year.Side effects:
When local use, you may experience the following side effects:
- itching, burning, pain and irritation in the vagina; thick, white, mucous discharge from the vagina (odorless or low odor), frequent urination; after discontinuation of the drug – the development of vaginal candidiasis;
- burning sensation or irritation of the penis nandrolone undecanoate meaning in the sexual partner;
- on the part of the gastrointestinal tract: nausea, change in taste, metallic taste in the mouth, dry mouth, decreased appetite, cramping abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, constipation or diarrhea;
- Allergic reactions: rash, itching, skin rash;
- headache, dizziness;
- leukopenia or leukocytosis.
In rare cases, there may be urine staining in red-brown color due to the presence of water-soluble pigment produced in the metabolism of metronidazole.Interaction with other medicinal products
is compatible with antibiotics and sulfonamides. In the treatment of metronidazole should avoid alcohol intake (similar to disulfiram causes alcohol intolerance). Do not mix metronidazole with disulfiram and prescribe metronidazole patients who took disulfiram within the past 2 weeks as the interaction of these drugs is possible depression of consciousness, the development of mental disorders.
While the use of warfarin and other indirect anticoagulants metronidazole increases their action, which leads to increase in prothrombin time. Do not combine with non-depolarizing muscle relaxants (vecuronium bromide). Under the influence of barbiturates may reduce the effect of metronidazole as its inactivation is accelerated in the liver.
Cimetidine metronidazole inhibits metabolism, which may lead to an increase in its concentration in the serum and an increased risk of adverse reactions. When concomitantly with drugs lithium may increase the concentration of the latter in plasma.
in the case of trichomoniasis recommended simultaneous treatment of sexual partner metronidazole, no matter, if they have any symptoms of the disease. In the period of treatment is recommended to abstain from sexual intercourse. When specifying a history of changes in the peripheral blood, as well as when using the drug in high doses and / or nandrolone undecanoate meaning when long-term use requires monitoring of blood count.
Metronidazole may immobilize Treponema, which leads to false positive test (Nelson).
It is necessary to pay attention to patients, especially drivers of vehicles and persons that control other machines, to the possibility of dizziness associated with taking the drug.